We do it everyday, it’s something that we don’t even take time to notice that we’re doing it. It’s one of the first things we’re taught to do as children and is often something many of us really take for granted.
It’s walking. Walking is a great exercise tool you should use because it’s safe, simple and doesn’t require any practice. If you’re a beginner to the exercising world, walking is the best way to build up your endurance and even your strength.
When I first wanted to get fit, I was too intimidated to go to the gym and workout on machines. I knew that if I wanted to get healthy, I had to start off with small steps. I started walking every night after dinner.
Even for an intermediate exerciser, walking is the link between a beneficial warm-up and a butt-kicking workout. You are never too strong or in shape to take advantage of the benefits of walking.
Benefits of Walking
- Increase high-density lipoprotein (HDL = GOOD) cholesterol
- Decrease low-density lipoprotein (LDL = BAD) cholesterol
- Decreased blood pressure
- Stay strong and fit
- Manage your weight
- Reduced risk of type 2 diabetes
- Improved mental mood
Other than those great benefits, walking can also lead towards improving your muscles. By practicing these easy exercises while walking, you’ll get a burn that makes you feel like you just left the gym.
Build Strength by Walking
- Keep your abs engaged the whole time- This is something I did 24/7 and allowed me to get the abs I have now. Not only did I contract my abs at the gym while working out, but I engaged them as I walked too. By tightening your abs all day, you are working the muscles and helping them grow. Do this while your walking to work or around your neighborhood to help get great abs.
- Squeeze your butt- Again, if you tighten your butt muscles while you walk, you’ll strengthen them. If you want a lean, tight rear view, you’ll definitely want to take advantage of doing this easy exercise as you just walk from store to store.
- Keep your shoulders back- This may be something your mom used to nag at your for, but when you improve your poster, some great things happen. First and foremost, you align your body better, which will come in handy as you age. It also makes you look a lot thinner than you would if you were slouching. If you keep you head up and shoulders back, it will take pounds off how you look. Improving your posture will make you look instantly thinner.
Practice these exercises as you are walking in order to fully benefit from this easy to do workout. It’s so easy, you won’t even think to actually call it a workout. I loved the feeling of getting in better shape with these walking tips, it only took me a week before I realized I was, in fact, ready for the gym.
Although I start working out with machines and weights, I never stopped walking on a daily basis. It’s just too easy not to do!