These days when everything goes fast, people sometimes don’t have time to sit down and eat because of their jobs, their crazy schedule, lifestyle, and eventually laziness. This creates one of the biggest health issues in our society: being overweight.
Women like me, housewives, are always on the go, running around with the kids, grocery shopping, laundry, house chores, doctor appointments, etc. and I could mention tons of things that we do all day long … We never have time to eat appropriately, sometimes we skip meals, eating junk food just to satisfy our hunger.
These habits have a high cost in health, weight and beauty. That is why I’d like to share what I learned the other day when reading the article from the American Dietetic Association: ” Eat Right. Food nutrition an health tip from the American Dietetic Association”
Everything here is about smart choices:
1. look for restaurants that have a large selection of items in their menus, read carefully the options and look for the healthy choices, like less fat and calories: baked, braised,broiled, grilled, poached, roasted, steamed vs. batter- fried, pan fried, buttered, creamed, crispy and breaded.
2. Be aware of the size of the portion, pick the regular or child- size portion, order an appetizer in place of a main course, or share a big portion with a friend.
3. Don’t be afraid to make special requests, just keep it simple for example, baked potato in place or french fries, or replace the mashed potatoes, rice, macaroni and cheese heavy carbohydrates for side salad, vegetables or sweet potato
4. Avoid the bread or chips before your meal.
5.If you are planning to eat out in the evening, try to eat lighter at breakfast and lunch.
6. Limit the amount of alcohol, 1 drink is enough. Remember alcohol increases your appetite.
7. If you are in the mood for dessert, order one portion for everyone at the table, go for the smallest option in the menu. If you are smart you’ll pick fruit.
8. boost the nutrition in all types of sandwiches by adding fresh vegetables, choose lean meat like ham, turkey, chicken or tuna. Pick whole grain bread. Ask for mustard, ketchup or low fat spreads.
9. Enjoy Ethnic foods like Chinese stir fry vegetables, stuffed pita or Mexican fajitas without the toppings like guacamole, rice and bean and cream.
10. Vegetable soups and salads are always a good option.
11. Always ask for toppings or sauces on the side, then you can control how much you consume.
12. Avoid the all-you-can-eat buffets and unlimited salad bars.
13. If you eat a pizza, load it with veggies and lean meat, some places have wheat or whole grain crust.
14. For breakfast always pick whole grain small muffins,egg whites and lean meat.
15. Try a smoothie with fruit low fat yogurt for lunch or snack.
16. Don’t keep food for more than two hours at room temperature.
17. Always carry a healthy snack in your bag, like fruit, peanut butter with apples, healthy snackbars or nuts in single serving packges.
18. For desktop eating, store in your desk healthy choices like tuna, soup, whole grain crakers,and peanut butter for a quick lunch.